Week One Reflection

   So far I am happy with how things have gone in my senior project. I've managed to get quite a few things done. I've found all the necessary tilesets for my project. I've learned how and coded in movement mechanics for the player character along with collision. I've also learned how to have the camera follow along with the player. Lastly, I've begun creating the starting area of the map. 

In honesty, I would have hoped to have gotten a bit farther along, but due to outside circumstances, I wasn't able to put in as many hours as I would have liked to this week. I also ran into some issues with finding tilesets that were adequate, they were a lot harder to find than I expected. The hardest tilesets to find were interior and exterior tilesets for buildings. Dungeons, caves, and general terrain tilesets seem to be relatively common and easy to find in comparison. I’ve also more recently had some problems with the textures. These came in the form of unity causing textures to bleed in a sort of way. This would result in some tiles having a few pixels of a slightly different color, unnoticeable on a small scale, but when painted down many times would become an obvious ugly-looking flaw in the terrain. The final small barrier I ran into actually had to do with coding, there were a few times when my code would fail to run due to small misspellings or mistakes that I had to take the time to find.

Despite these barriers, I have successfully moved towards my final goal of completing a small video game for my senior project. It has also helped me more accurately from a first-hand perspective realize the massive amount of time and dedication that video game developers put into their games, no matter how small the game may seem from an outside perspective. 

This upcoming week my goal is to complete the map to a degree with which I am happy. I would also like to integrate at least two quests, simple fetch quests. Finally, I intend to get the enemy spawning and combat up and running, as well as darkness throughout the world.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Two Senior Project

Day 12 Senior Project

First Day of Senior Project (Creating a Video Game)