Senior Project Week 2 Reflection


    I feel that I’ve accomplished quite a bit this second week of Senior Project. I finished off the first week feeling I hadn’t accomplished enough, but at this point, I’m proud of all I’ve been able to get done. I started off the week by finishing the first part of the world, including the starting area where the player will spawn and learn about the game. I then managed to get interactable characters and items up and running, allowing me to integrate quests with some relatively simple additions to the code later on. This also allowed me to create the portal that would switch the player from the start scene to the main scene. 

The next step is where I ran into trouble with the floating text system. I have continuously run into a NullReferenceException error that despite spending considerable time searching for the cause of the error I have been unable to. I now have an idea to change my plan of attack, rather than spending more time trying to find the cause, I intend to rework it and use an animation-based system to make text boxes appear. They will already exist in the game and simply be moved in the FOV upon being called upon. This should eliminate the need for the code segment that is causing the error. While this isn’t a perfect solution it is one that works quite effectively for a simple game such as mine. 

I’ve also accomplished setting up the combat system and the player's stats menu. I feel I’ve learned a lot this week, I can definitely tell the difference and how rusty my coding skills are now in comparison to when I began this project. I believe they have actually improved in some aspects by forcing me to use trial and error.

Overall I feel I have come quite far this week and will hopefully be able to present a fully functioning game at the Senior Project Express Fest. In the upcoming final two days, I hope to integrate a few more final key pieces into my project. First I will finish ensuring that quests work along with speech. Second I hope to make the game dark and the character only be able to see so far around them. Third I hope to have time to add in random spawning of enemies at an increased rate over time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Two Senior Project

Day 12 Senior Project

First Day of Senior Project (Creating a Video Game)